Tuesday, April 11

Introductions, Ped Varook. Part 4/6


Personal Log. Chief of Engineering, Ped Varook. 03.29.3001.

I do not understand my new Commodore. Upon initial introductions at the Liberace's christening, Commodore Ludwig referred to me as a "fat chick" when in actuality I do not resemble any sort of poultry as I know it and I am the required weight of a typical UIN officer. Maybe it is some sort of human greeting that was not covered in my interspecies relations seminar.

I am having difficulty acclimating myself to this unisex environment. Coming from a matriarchal society, it is unusual to be under the command of Commodore Ludwig and 1st Mate Beck. Most male Cretians were previously female, and then surgically made male for breeding purposes. Since men are an inferior gender, most natural born males are either euthanized at birth or undergo gender alterations shortly after conception. This is a common practice among families, thus creating a shortage of viable males for conception. To ensure the healthy propagation of our species, the Cretian Empire delegates certain females to undergo a sex change.

Even though it is obvious that the Human species has no shortage of males in their society, I was surprised to find a similar gender change in Liaison to the Commodore, Jean Sprat. He explained that he was once a woman, even a 1st mate on an Intergalactic Warship, but Liaison Sprat did not divulge how his gender change came about. I could only surmise that it was for similar reasons as Cretian gender changes.

Jean Sprat may provide the only means at comfortable companionship on this voyage. The only ranking femal officer on the vessel other than myself is Mao Ling, who I incorrectly mistook for a malfunctioning cyborg, what with her audio enhancement device. She has since met my attempts at conversation with a sour disposition. Even though I must adhere to the commands of my male commanders, the blunt obviousness of male inferiority prevents me from interacting with them on any social level.

Liaison Sprat may now be male, but in Cretian society, those individuals who undergo gender changes from female to male are held in high esteem. We recognize their sacrifice, both physically and socially. Though it is all but forbidden to form personal relationships with males, gender changed males are regarded with some respect. Under the circumstances, a plutonic rapport with Jean Sprat would not tarnish my social standing.

No comments: